Monday, September 28, 2009

Mixing and a'making and a'shaking and a'baking...

Yes, I've been at it again. I am so fortunate to have a sweet-toothed audience, as I am a compulsive baker. I can freely admit it: my job allows me to peruse baking-related products (and frequently indulge in a purchase or two), and my family and friends gratefully accept anything and everything I make. This weekend I made Coffee & Pecan Biscotti (I'm not bringing you any shots of those, as they were not much to look at; although, they have been judged the best biscotti I've ever made) and these Fairy Cakes (I also made two Tiramisus, but there's not much of a story, and even less to look at, with them either).

So, to the cakes. I like Nigella Lawson's recipe (I also enjoy a bit of exaggerated simpering while baking) and make mini versions so the children can indulge without overindulging. For my mini-cake tray I use an Anolon SureGrip 12 cup Mini Muffin Pan. While I am very pleased with the quality and durability of the Anolon, and I really like the non-slip grips at the sides, given the choice again I would choose a 24-cup pan such as the Chicago Metallic one. I love Chicago Metallic bakeware (actually, I have a Chicago Metallic review coming up this week, so stay tuned!). Most mixtures for muffins or cupcakes are for 12 standard sized, so doing a mini version will give you twice as many. I can certainly manage, out of necessity, to flip the hot cakes out to enable me to put the second load in the pan, but I would feel so much more professional and fancy if I had a 24-cup one!


The cakes are made in the food processor, which in my house is a Magimix. While I could sing the praises of the Magimix all day, I have only just foisted a voltage-related review upon you in the Dualit, so I shall save that for another day. We recently received some new muffin papers from Fox Run, and the ones I used this time are Pink White Dots ones. The ones shown are exactly the same in size and shape, but the newer patterned ones come in packs of 48 instead of 60. To decorate, I used a similar sugar sprinkle to the Gingerbread Army, but this time I used "Flowers" in 4 colours. To ice, I like a little angled spatula, and the Loyal one does me perfectly (the image is of the straight one, but I do find the angled one easier to use, particularly for little cakes).


I'm finding myself slightly addicted to these little cakes, although I admit I've been "popping the top and tossing the stump" (Seinfeld) more often than is decent. But hey, they're so easy to make, and there are so many possible variations in decorating, that a few discarded stumps are not the end of the world. The digestion of one batch only means more opportunity for imaginative decorating for the next. Plus, I am urged to dispose of one lot of baked comestibles before I'm allowed to make more. Luckily, my audience awaits with open arms. And mouths.