Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Delinquent!

Which is what I have been for the passed three days. My apologies: I have been busy enjoying a few Highlands' treats (and some out-of-town ones as well).

I had a fabulous breakfast at Coffee Culture (Empire Cinema Complex Walkway, Bong Bong St, Bowral; ph 02 4862 2400) on the weekend. This really is one of the premiere spots to enjoy a leisurely weekend brunch-type affair: great food, superb coffee, and a relaxed atmosphere. It is also family-friendly, something which can be strangely hard to find in the Highlands. Chris and Will each have young children, and go out of their way to ensure a low-stress, enjoyable outing for families. Did you know Coffee Culture supply their own coffee beans to establishments all over NSW, even as far as Hippo Espresso (468 The Esplanade, Warners Bay; ph 02 4948 0800) on Lake Macquarie? Hardly surprising: the coffee is always great (I frequently pick up my weekday ones at CC as well!). For dining in, I highly recommend the BLT...

We celebrated a birthday over the weekend, and being not of the mind to make a cake (I did make the choc-chip biscuits, the recipe for which I previously published: am trying to upload the photos!), I enabled a secret Highlands pastry weapon: Susie Porter. For those of you who indulge in a dessert or two, it is likely you have tasted a Susie Porter creation in your travels. She makes cakes for a number of the great cafes in the Highlands, most notably Wild Food Bowral (250a Bong Bong St, Bowral; ph 02 4861 2838). We had the most divine strawberry sponge, filled with whipped cream, jam and fresh strawberries. I had three pieces in one sitting (and this was a 12" cake...). Light as a feather, and delicately delicious: just as you would imagine a perfect sponge to be. This woman can bake. Susie is currently investigating some new venues for her cake supply, and I will certainly keep you up-to-date so you can seek out these extraordinary desserts for yourselves. We are hoping to have her do a Chef's Night for us as well. Watch this space...

I also had a splendid little bite yesterday at a hole-in-the-wall in Sydney's CBD. While visiting Tetsuya's (which is not open for lunch on weekdays), I popped across the road to Bar Adyar (448 Kent St, Sydney). This teeny cafe is utterly odd, but has the most impressive food and coffee: I am told that the morning takeaway queues stretch down the street. I am not in the habit of singing the praises of the metropolis, but having worked in Kent St for years, I can assure you that this end of town needs places like Bar Adyar. If you find yourself in the vicinity, I recommend you drop in.

Hopefully my computer will be generous enough to cooperate with me sometime today, and I will have pics of the biscuits imminently....