Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Biscuits for Barrels (or jars)

OK, so my computer has been compliant, and I have a photo of the chocolate chocolate chip biscuits. I did warn you that they are not the most beautiful to look at (in fact, a ranger would probably fine you if one fell out of your picnic basket and onto the grass), but the taste is exquisite. Mine turned out rather crumbly, but I found a use for those as well: soften some quality vanilla icecream and stir the broken biscuits through for a very special cookies'n'cream mix (I had to relent: biscuits'n'cream just doesn't work).



Now, I can't help you with supply of the astounding Atomic machine, but I can sing the praises of the jar. This is a Maxwell & Williams Olde English storage jar, and I love love love these jars. They come in a fantastic range of sizes, even up to an enormous 7 litre jobbie. The 5 litre has been hugely popular in our commercial division (you might spot them around the Highlands' cafes, stuffed full of gingerbread men). While there are round barrels available, I prefer the square-bottom ones: you can have a hodge-podge of sizes, but the straight sides mean they all fit neatly on a shelf and look rather lovely. The set of four is alarmingly good value, and you'll find a use for every one. The only thing stopping my expanding collection is a lack of shelf space!

I must mention that these jars have a wonderful seal on them as well. Obviously, if you're storing biscuits or other morsels which need to retain their "crunch", the seal of a jar is vital. I find these jars do the job perfectly.

With the festive season rapidly approaching, I have in mind these jars full of homemade festive biscuits, tied around the neck with some gorgeous Christmas ribbon and a gift tag, as a very special, practical and impressive gift. I guarantee the jar will be used in aeternum by the receiver, and everyone appreciates the care that goes into homemade biscuits. Or, at $5.95, pick up a few of the 0.5 litre ones, buy some Christmas-themed sweets or chocolates, and have them on hand for when you get invited for a festive gathering. A simple, inexpensive and thoughtful gift. If you don't get invited anywhere, keep the jars and eat the contents. Either way, you can't go wrong.