Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Spatula Comaneci

Yes, this spatula deserves a perfect 10. Perfectly controlled flexibility; smooth, clean finish; dishwasher- and heat-safe; a gorgeous assortment of colours to choose from. Almost as exciting and talented as a Romanian gymnast...

This spatula comes from Orka by Mastrad, who make an astonishing range of products, with the main mission being the creation of products which are innovative, ergonomic, stylish and practical. In every product I've seen from Orka, this mission has been accomplished. The spatula is, for me, a mascot!

The silicone moulding of this spatula means the construction is seamless, maintaining long-term hygiene by having no joints where bacteria can hide. Not only will the magical flexibility result in a perfectly scraped bowl or pan, but it also means the spatula is safe to use on the most delicate of surfaces, including non-stick. It is heat-resistant to 300C, and dishwasher-safe, although I find mine so easy to clean that I just quickly wash it under hot water. I also prefer to handwash it so it can immediately return to my utensil holder: love that dash of bold colour amongst its rather solemn stainless steel friends.

It is certainly worth checking out the range of products Mastrad have to offer. I have a friend who is obsessed with the silicone spoons, and has every colour. I think it would be rather easy to develop this obsession. Three spatulas is not excessive. Is it?