Friday, October 16, 2009

No More Messing With the Mangoes

Do you know what is truly annoying? Not being able to find a picture or link to the product which you intend to talk about. However, there is actually something more annoying than that: laughingly picking up a new product from the shelves, disparagingly saying you'll test it on the basis that, "If it's rubbish, I can still blog it," and then discovering it's actually fantastic. And so I find myself in a quandry over the Avanti Mango Cutter/Pitter.

I wanted to hate it. I wanted to get it home, try it, and feel smug that I was right in my assumption that it was another useless, drawer-cluttering gadget. But no: it was not to be. In fact, it's great! Perhaps I find it particularly brilliant because a) we consume a lot of mangoes in our house and b) I'm totally inept at cutting them up. I've always got pieces and slices and juices and skins and pits decorating my kitchen bench, and that's after only one mango. This little beauty makes light work of all that fussing: simply place your mango (stem side up) in the holder, and push the cutter down over the top in one steady motion. There you have it: two neatly sliced pieces of mango, one pit, no mess. It's even made from mango-coloured heavy-duty plastic (and high-grade stainless steel, for the cutting component).

I shall have to take a photo of it instead, which I will attend to tomorrow. Then you will all be able to see this mysterious mango-related device, and marvel at it's brilliant simplicity. Methinks mango season started early this year for a reason...